VOLUNTEER WITH US
Why volunteer at The RE Store?
What volunteer and internship positions are available?
How do I get started?
Race for The RE Store!
We need your help to further our efforts. It is the time for all hands on deck to reduce waste, promote a culture of reuse and saving money while having fun doing it. The RE Store is making a difference, serving our communities in many different ways. These include the following:
The RE Store has two environmentally-responsible retail stores that sell affordable building materials
- Offering quality alternatives to new products
- Stocking inexpensive, unique items
Examples include cabinets, doors, windows, light fixtures, tubs, sinks, flooring, moulding, hardware, etc...
Our field services recover wasted materials for reuse and recycling from Washington State and beyond
- Diverting over 4 million pounds of construction & demolition waste
- Providing quality services for builders, home owners and businesses
We promote a green, sustainable culture
- Encouraging value to be created from waste
- Exposing a wide variety of people to sustainable lifestyle options
Customers save over $1.6 million annually through RE Store purchases
- Our sales totaling over 1.6 million dollars each year are based on items priced at 50% or much less than the price of similar new items
- Saving money for our donors on their disposal fees while contributors receive a tax-deductible receipt or a in-store trade credit
Building community by building skills
- Developing individual skills for our 25+ staff on an ongoing basis
- Training people to enter the work force in new ways with our green jobs training program
- Connecting with our communities through workshops, events and our Recycled Art Program
Volunteering can take many forms at The RE Store. Possibilities include:
- Working with us on projects to improve our store facilities
- Participating in our Green Jobs Training Program for job force retraining and resume' building
- Helping out with outreach and community events
- Interning with us to develop your skills and strengths - interns could focus on many different aspects of our efforts, including:
√ Interpretive displays
√ Web-based outreach and marketing
√ Workshop and event production
√ Partner and sponsorship opportunities
√ Salvage and green demolition aka deconstruction
√ Store merchandising and inventory
√ Info displays and store signage
√ Logging "Community Service" hours for minor law infractions
Subscribe to our email newsletter to receive the latest news about our volunteer opportunities, workshop schedule, events sponsored by The RE Store and more.
Learn about other ways to get involved with The RE Store in reducing waste and inspiring reuse.
Raise cash for your cause by participating in The Human Race on Saturday, May 12th at 10am. You can walk or run the 5k course or run the 10k course along beautiful Squalicum Harbor. Music, food, and prizes are part of the fun! 75% of the donations you raise will go directly to The RE Store while the other 25% will support the Whatcom Volunteer Center. All donations are greatly appreciated and will go toward our efforts of promoting more sustainable communities.
Our Twitter feed
TheREStoreTweet: Seating fun with salvaged doors: http://t.co/yMtsBDbWQa http://t.co/tmZLlL2ToN
TheREStoreTweet: Have you stretched today? Donate to us through Seattle Foundation before midnight tonight, and your donations... http://t.co/v7YuaEyycz
TheREStoreTweet: Thanks to those of you that have Given BIG already today!! For the rest of you - all day today until midnight,... http://t.co/JTH8kIUlZw
TheREStoreTweet: It's here - GiveBIG Day!! Any donations made today will get stretched and will benefit our Truck Fund. Help our... http://t.co/DdheDiVUOt